The Upstreet Project: Elizabeth House & Roberta House, Upstreet
Residential care and re-ablement for adults with Wernicke-Korsakoff's Syndrome, acquired brain injury, ARBD (Alcohol-Related Brain Damage) and other related conditions.
Roberta House and Elizabeth House offer the highest standard of support as well as physical, mental and emotional care to adults with brain damage/dementia as a result of malnutrition and long term drug or alcohol dependency. Most of the clients currently resident with us have a diagnosis of Korsakov's (Korsakoff's) Syndrome and/or an associated acquired brain injury. We offer an holistic and pluralist approach to care and support.
The services provided to our clients include:
- Assistance with personal care when required by our care team. All our clients are encouraged to maintain their existing levels of independence and mobility and to improve upon them where possible. We support our clients in every aspect of personal care, including bathing, dressing and choice of clothing. All laundry is done on site and clients are encouraged to do their own washing and ironing where possible as part of their Client Development programme.
- Regular hairdressing, chiropody, reflexology, optical, and dental services as well as physiotherapy if required, both on and off the premises. Other complementary therapies are available through local providers and clients can choose to incorporate these into their individual care and support plans.
- Managing all medication and facilitating visits to and by doctors, district nurses and consultants when and where necessary. All our clients are encouraged to take as much responsibility for their own mental and physical health needs as possible, with plenty of support from the team.
- Arranging pastoral support and catering to all religious requirements. We also organise church visits at least once a fortnight to several denominations. We regularly attend services at the beautiful Canterbury Cathedral which is only a 15 minute drive away.
- A good, healthy and balanced diet: Our clients are brought a hot drink in bed first thing in the morning. This is followed by a healthy breakfast of their choice in the dining room - cereals, toast, fruit, porridge, yoghurt etc. Hot drinks are available throughout the day, with a selection of lunch options and a lighter supper before hot drinks again before retiring. All dietary needs, including allergies, are catered for carefully and individually. Many of our clients are supported to prepare their own meals, snacks and drinks.
- A rich range of activities for our clients, with facilities ranging from gym classes to our own workshop at a nearby industrial estate. We go to the nearby beaches regularly and encourage all clients to get plenty of exercise, to the best of their ability. We believe in the therapeutic value of lots of fresh air! We have multiple company cars and minibuses and all clients have the opportunity to go out daily, whether to go shopping or for a walk or just for the pure pleasure of an ice cream on the beach. We support our clients to visit local attractions, go to museums and art galleries, or simply do 'normal' things like go to the supermarket or into Canterbury to browse the shops. We also regularly go to the theatre and concerts, as well as to local fairs and fetes.
- Access to plenty of outside space as well as the wider community. Our grounds are well maintained and secure. Every client is accompanied to the shop across the road on request and some of our clients have their own gate pass but this is assessed on an individual basis. All our clients are encouraged to access the local community and join in community activities, eg lunch club at the local Community Centre.
- All our clients have a comprehensive and individual care plan, which is assessed and updated monthly.
- We offer assistance where necessary in maintaining links outside the premises, including letter writing. Clients can set up their own email and Facebook accounts to keep in touch. Clients have access to their own secure internet connection for their own laptops and other IT equipment, or can use the company computers. At Roberta House, every client also has a telephone in their own room for incoming calls and a private telephone to make outgoing calls is available in both homes.
- Managing the personal allowance of each client where necessary, and ensure secure storage of valuables.
If you'd like any more information on any of the above, or you'd like a frank and confidential discussion about how we might be able to help you or your relative, please call Rod or Bobbie Tarry during normal office hours on 01227 860516.
We look forward to hearing from you.